Our Patio Covers offer years of attractive and durable performance. Generally, normal rainfall is sufficient to keep its appearance clean. But if cleaning is required, we recommend the following steps. Particular attention should be given to areas under eaves, porches, awnings and other overhangs that have limited exposure to the natural cleansing effect of rainfall.
1. For moderate dirt – An occasional washing with clear water using a garden hose and soft-bristled brush is recommended (a long-handled, car-washing brush is ideal for this
2. For heavier dirt accumulation – Wash in the manner indicated above, but with the following solution: 1/3 cup detergent (Tide, for example) 2/3 cup trisodium phosphate (Soilax, for example)1 gallon water.
3. Mildew accumulation – Mildew can collect on surfaces of all types of building products and is often evident on surfaces that have not been properly maintained. Normally, mildew will appear as black spots.
4. Mildew is easily removed by using the following cleaning solution: 1/3 cup detergent (Tide®, for example) 2/3 cup trisodium phosphate (Soilax®, for example) 1 quart sodium hypochlorite 5% solution (Clorox®) 3 quart
5. Caulking compounds, tar, etc. – Use mineral spirits in reasonable amounts, applying directly to the foreign substance. Rinse the area thoroughly with water immediately after cleaning.